Re: more current kernels for sarge in volatile?

* Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org) [051229 14:03]:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > Also, using 2.6.12/14/15 in Sarge (volatile) IMO means that the kernel
> > team will need to commit to maintaining that version with regard to
> > security updates, just as for 2.6.8.
> > Continuously making the latest kernel available for Sarge through volatile
> > IMO is not an option, unless maybe done through a separate repository
> > kernel-volatile with all due warnings of "use at your own risk" attached.

> Including whatever kernel is in testing might work, hopefully that
> kernel would not have major development bugs and we[1] still have to
> support it for security.

Well, the only backdraw is that this might lead to a situation where we
say "to fix this local root exploit, you need to upgrade to a newer
kernel minor version where {you need a newer udev, this driver doesn't
work anymore, ...}." I personally consider this as not really good.

Cheers,
Andi
--
  http://home.arcor.de/andreas-barth/