Re: How to build .deb from Debian's linux-tree-2.6.12

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 07:06:05AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:43:34PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > I now know what was going on. Despite debian/rules not directly using
> > make-kpkg, the build process somehow uses code delivered by
> > kernel-package, which in turn honors ~/.kernel-pkg.conf, which on my
> > system has config_target := menuconfig.
> >
> > That's a gotcha.
>
> Ah, ...

and moving that file away solved the issue. the kernel now builds
nicely.

> > Can you please explain that? I am trying to convert a Debian source
> > package (consisting of .orig.tar.gz, diff.gz and .dsc) into a set of
> > Debian binary packages (.deb). The usual way to do so is to use the
> > debuild command (or another of the dpkg-buildpackage frontends
> > available in numerous different flavours) after installing
> > build-essential and all packages listed in the Build-Depends line in
> > debian/control.
>
> Well, if you take the already packaged version out of the archive, you just
> need to :
>
>   dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
>
> And it flies, after installing build-essential, fakeroot and the linux-2.6
> build-deps.

That works fine with debuild as well, which is no wonder considering
that first thing debuild does it to call dpkg-buildpackage.

> i do use dpkg-buildpackage in a clean sid chroot specially created for this
> purpose, but don't use any kind of debuild/pbuilder/whatever frontends, so
> maybe there is some problem with the frontend you are using ?

Since I always use debuild, and package not building with debuild
would probably be a bug in the package. But with your help, I have
found the issue.

It is quite interesting that linux-2.6 uses kernel-package in a way
which turns off kernel-package error handling. Maybe linux-2.6 should
check whether a ~/.kernel-pkg.conf exists with incompatible settings,
as this might be a challenge for other people as well.

> > I must be missing something here, please enlighten me.
>
> What is your problem again, now that we sorted the menuconfig out ?

None, at the moment. I just got the impression that the kernel
packages need some special handling as you suggested an error in my
build process.

Greetings
Marc