Re: How to build .deb from Debian's linux-tree-2.6.12

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 02:58:28PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> I am currently trying to make myself familiar with building the Debian
> packages for kernel 2.6 to see whether it's worth to move my local
> kernel building processes nearer to Debian's own processes.
>
> So I have created a fresh sid chroot with build-essential installed,
> downlaoded linux-tree-2.6.12, unpacked it, installed the build

Try :

  apt-get build-dep linux-2.6

first, to install all dependencies.

> dependencies and invoked debuild. First round, it failed for not
> finding libncurses, so I installed libncurses-dev. Now, debuild fails
> with a short "interrupted(11)", in an xterm which thinks of having 23
> lines only. Looks like something goes wrong with make menuconfig, but
> make menuconfig invoked from the command line works fine.
>
> Is that an issue with current sid, or am I doing something wrong?
> Currently, I am inclined to say that linux-tree-2.6.12 is missing a
> Build Dependency on ncurses, and that it suffers from other kinds of
> breakage as well. But I might be mistaken. Can somebody help?

linux-tree-2.6.12 is a binary package, and thus its build-dependencies are on
linux-2.6 source, which should do the right thing, not sure though.

Not sure what you really want to do, but in any case, linux-tree-2.6.12 is
probably a thing of the paste, you want either the linux-2.6 source package
or the linux-source-2.6.12 binary package.