Re: initrd/initramfs: we discussed enough, let's take some action now :)

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 09:44:01PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 03:26:45PM +0900, Horms wrote:

> > Hi Sven,
> >
> > your proposal regarding updating initrd-tools, initramfs-tools and yaird
> > to allow them to be more sensibly called sounds fine to me. I can't
> > speak on behalf of their repective maintainers, nor on
> > behalf of the kernel-package maintainer, but it certainly seems
> > worthy of coming up with some patches to test out.
>
> Eheh, thanks.
>
> > > Oh, and BTW, i vote for uploading 2.6.13-2 to unstable instead, or at least -3 :)
> >
> > Please, lets get this initrd problem ironed out before shoving 2.6.13
> > into unstable. We have a 2.6.12 in there that works pretty well. And
> > while it stays there we have a good way of slowly feeding changes into
> > testing, while packaging 2.6.13 matures a bit more.
> >
> > I know that at this point you are going to say something like t-p-u,
> > but frankly I don't think 2.6.13 is ready for unstable until we
> > get the initrd problems straightened out a bit more.
> >
> > It was you who so strongly advocated using experimental in the first
> > place. And if that was a good choice last week, I think it is still a
> > good choice this week. We decided to go down that road, so we may as
> > well stay on it for a bit longer.
>
> Well, i was a bit disapointed by the autobuilder situation, and the strange
> log situation, but well.

That is certainly annoying, lets talk to aba about what is going on there.

> > So I say, lets upload 2.6.13 (which will almost certainly have
> > become 2.6.14) early next month, and keep smoothing out the initrd
> > problems. I'll work on getting an interim 2.6.12 release out as
> > per my mail to d-i and d-k just now.
>
> Ok.
>
> > Ohh, and please, can we get 2.6.13 building on all architectures?
> > That is a bit of an impediment to something that goes into
> > unstable progresses into testing :-)
>
> I just co,pleted a local build of powerpc on all flavours, including apus and
> miboot, so that at least should be ok. Maybe the apus and miboot flavours will
> need a bit more fine-tuning, but this should be nice as is.

Excellent, I'll do a checkout of that and verify its happy here too.
I know hppa had issues, and I know pear.debian.org has an environment
that we can use. The same is likely true of other architectures too.

It would be nice if someone other than you and I could look into that,
but at least we have resources to do so if need be.

--
Horms