Re: initrd/initramfs: we discussed enough, let's take some action now :)

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 02:21:04PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 02:15:18PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Ok, now that linux-2.6.13-1 has been uploaded to experimental, and despite the
> > abysmal situation of the experimental autobuilders and ways to grab logs,
> > it is time to finalize the story about the initrd stuff.

Hi Sven,

your proposal regarding updating initrd-tools, initramfs-tools and yaird
to allow them to be more sensibly called sounds fine to me. I can't
speak on behalf of their repective maintainers, nor on
behalf of the kernel-package maintainer, but it certainly seems
worthy of coming up with some patches to test out.

> Oh, and BTW, i vote for uploading 2.6.13-2 to unstable instead, or at least -3 :)

Please, lets get this initrd problem ironed out before shoving 2.6.13
into unstable. We have a 2.6.12 in there that works pretty well. And
while it stays there we have a good way of slowly feeding changes into
testing, while packaging 2.6.13 matures a bit more.

I know that at this point you are going to say something like t-p-u,
but frankly I don't think 2.6.13 is ready for unstable until we
get the initrd problems straightened out a bit more.

It was you who so strongly advocated using experimental in the first
place. And if that was a good choice last week, I think it is still a
good choice this week. We decided to go down that road, so we may as
well stay on it for a bit longer.

So I say, lets upload 2.6.13 (which will almost certainly have
become 2.6.14) early next month, and keep smoothing out the initrd
problems. I'll work on getting an interim 2.6.12 release out as
per my mail to d-i and d-k just now.

Ohh, and please, can we get 2.6.13 building on all architectures?
That is a bit of an impediment to something that goes into
unstable progresses into testing :-)

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 08:22:59PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 02:15:18PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Ok, now that linux-2.6.13-1 has been uploaded to experimental, and despite the
> > abysmal situation of the experimental autobuilders and ways to grab logs,
> > it is time to finalize the story about the initrd stuff.
>
> Oh well, either nobody cares, or everyone agrees, so anyway, i will go ahead
> and implement this plan during the next week. I know i pointed it out to folk
> on irc :), and i guess once people noticed that it was not plain yaird
> advocacy, nobody had anything against it.

There is no need to be so aggressive. This is a farily complicated
problem, so lets take a measured approach to solving it. Many of the
people are very busy right now. If you have time to help, that is
awsome, but please work with the intersted parties.

--
Horms