Re: initrd-tools and booting root on lvm with new kernel

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:29:06AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
<snip>
>         Err. putting
>   ramdisk = /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs
>  in /etc/kernel-img.conf does seem to work.

indeed, thanks for pointing that out.

>  Or are you talking about
>  using mkinitramfs by default? mkinitramfs fails if the kernel version
>  is not at least 2.6.12, so it can't be used unilaterally.
>
>         I guess we could add a version specific check into the
>  postinst to default to using yaird or mkinitramfs , if installed, in
>  preference to mkinitrd, though I am usually hesitant to add in
>  version dependencies into kernel-package in general, I could be
>  persuaded that an exception is justified in this case.

there are archs which should prefer mkinitrd at current state of
affairs.

also it would be _very_ cool to do the switch after a major upload.
just the switch to the newer tools and nothing else.
ubuntu has been bitten by this transition.
the user won't recognise that the oops is not the kernel fault.
the best plan would be to do it after an 2.6.13-1 upload:
an 2.6.13-2 with only this change.

--
maks