Re: initrd-tools and booting root on lvm with new kernel

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:29:06AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:03:45 +0200, Maximilian Attems
> <maks@sternwelten.at> said:
>
> > naa initramfs-tools are in the archive an working for all arch but
> > sparc (klibc ftbfs there with gcc3.4/4.0).
>
> > the kernel-package does not yet use the initramfs-tools. you need to
> > invoke update-initramfs like this: sudo update-initramfs -c -k
> > 2.6.13-1-686
>
>         Err. putting
>   ramdisk = /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs
>  in /etc/kernel-img.conf does seem to work. Or are you talking about
>  using mkinitramfs by default? mkinitramfs fails if the kernel version
>  is not at least 2.6.12, so it can't be used unilaterally.

Would a solution to this not to have the kernel provide a
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/<version>/kernel.sh script, which would in turn call
mkinitramfs or mkyaird (or whatever it is called), or alternatively have
initramfs or yaird provide those scripts in /etc/kernel/postinst.d/, and do
the right thing, and kill the stuff doing this through /etc/kernel-img.conf
for etch ? Maybe we could even compliment the scripts in /etc/kernel with a
per-version configuration file to replace the main one ? the make-kpkg
provided scripts would parse /etc/kernel/config/kernel.cfg and
/etc/kernel/config/<version>/kernel.cfg ?

>         I guess we could add a version specific check into the
>  postinst to default to using yaird or mkinitramfs , if installed, in
>  preference to mkinitrd, though I am usually hesitant to add in
>  version dependencies into kernel-package in general, I could be
>  persuaded that an exception is justified in this case.

Would a solution as proposed above be more to your liking :) ?