Re: 2.6.13, experimental and 2.6.14-rc ...

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:13:05 +0200
Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> > > I guess generic miscomprehension, or whatever. The fact that
> > > ubuntu uses initramfs-tools for example, and so on.
> >
> > I would guess similarly. My interest was (and still is) actual
> > concrete reasons from those (if any) not interested.
> >
> > Silence as response to both questions (from all but you and I) I
> > dare interpret as "we have already decided on initramfs-tools and
> > are either too lazy or too busy to even shed light on the issues we
> > have with yaird".
>
> Please interpret it as too busy to reply right now, as many in the
> kernel team are over-worked with RL stuff these days :)

Ok - I apologize for being rude.

What does "RL" stand for?

> > > I think what would be of most interest is a technical description
> > > of both solutions, as well as a list of arches where it is known
> > > to work, should work, almost works, fails utterly.
> >
> > It is not only arches, but also combinations of features:
> >
> > With initrd-tools, running 2.4-x when installing a 2.6-x kernel
> > causes the tool to switch from "dep" to "most" because (I believe)
> > it cannot probe kernel module dependencies. Same situation will
> > currently cause yaird to fail completely,as it requires sysfs and
> > udev support in the running kernel.
>
> We don't care about 2.4 kernels, and we don't care about
> initrd-tools, the choice is between intiramfs-tools and yaird, i
> favor a solution where this choice can be left to the user.

We do care about upgrading from sarge (that installed 2.4.x by default
on at least the archs I tried) and etch (that I believe will use 2.6
by default on most or all arches), don't we?

Added that limitation to the wiki page.

Sven: Please don't cc me - I am subscribed to the list :-)

 - Jonas

- --