Re: 2.6.13, experimental and 2.6.14-rc ...

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 05:28:27PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:24:17 +0200
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > That was initramfs-tools, we should evaluate also yaird.
>
> Is anyone (besides you, sven) interested in yaird at all?

I suppose so, do you have an idea on what architectures it runs fine on, it
would be especially interesting on those architectures where initramfs has
trouble.

> If not, why?

I guess generic miscomprehension, or whatever. The fact that ubuntu uses
initramfs-tools for example, and so on.

I think what would be of most interest is a technical description of both
solutions, as well as a list of arches where it is known to work, should work,
almost works, fails utterly.

The fact that yaird doesn't use klibc seems to be a nice feature on those
arches where klibc is still broken.

I believe the best solution is to leave the choice to the user, with a sane
default depending on the arch/subarch used.