Re: standardizing on a language

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 12:57:32PM +0900, Horms wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:53:14PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 03:36:01PM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > > Ok, looks like people seem to want python more; I'll start rewriting
> > > my tools to be in python, and working on the common lib stuff.
> >
> > Make sure to write a one paragraph in the "split-config howto for the dumbs"
> > kind though.
>
> split-config has had useful help output every time I have tried to use it.

$ ../../trunk/scripts/split-config
Usage: ../../trunk/scripts/split-config [options] <config dir> <flavour>
        -a, --arch <arch>        select architecture [powerpc]
        -s, --subarch <arch>     select sub-architecture []
        -c, --configtype <type>  select config type [menuconfig]
        -h, --help               display this help screen

Well, the main remaining question is :

  1) where do we invoke it.
  2) when to use -a and -s.
  3) what is the config_dir and why do we need it.
  4) if i want to change an option accross all flavours, how do i do it.

I mean, due to 1), i was never able to go beyond this help output message, and
i tried it in all imaginable places.

I guess there is not much needed to make it happen, but there is this barrier
to entry which seems difficulty crossable without a lot of experimentation.

The best thing to solve this would be one simple example of how it is used,
would take all of 10 lines or so, maybe appended to the below output or in a
-e, --example option ? Or a -e, --extendedhelp one ?