Re: Is kernel package in Sarge out-of-date?

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 06:05:26PM -0300, Martin C. wrote:
> Hi all... I have a doubt about the kernel package un Debian Sarge.
> I always download the kernel-source-* package and then compile it in my
> system. But I have noted the kernel package is always with the same size and
> version. Is it manteined? 3 bugs ago I was watching and never change the size
> or version of kernel package. Why is that? I do the apt-get update, upgrade
> thing and never download a newer version. How can I download a patched
> version of the debian kernel package?
> Sorry by my horrible english, and thanks.

Sarge is now released, and as such updates only take two form -
security updates which are done as the need arises, and release
updates, which occur once or twice a year. The Kernel Team is
working on making sure the kernel does get updated in Sarge.

However, in answer to your question, yes it is out of date,
and to be honest that is the nature of a stable release. If
you want something fresher try unstable or stable, and
the packages provided by linux-2.6, currently linux-source-2.6.12,
but soon to be linux-source-2.6.13.

Thanks

--
Horms