Is kernel package in Sarge out-of-date?

Hi all... I have a doubt about the kernel package un Debian Sarge.
I always download the kernel-source-* package and then compile it in my
system. But I have noted the kernel package is always with the same size and
version. Is it manteined? 3 bugs ago I was watching and never change the size
or version of kernel package. Why is that? I do the apt-get update, upgrade
thing and never download a newer version. How can I download a patched
version of the debian kernel package?
Sorry by my horrible english, and thanks.

--
-- Martin.