Re: 2.6.12 in volatile?

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 07:56:00AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 07:56:38AM +0200, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Sven Luther wrote:

> > > Wrong, linux-2.6 needs at least version 9.005 of kernel-package.
> > > So either we backport it to sarge, or i provide a patch of the
> > > needed functionality for the version of kernel-package in sarge.
> >
> > The latter, according to volatile policy (... must be autobuildable
> > from the same release...).

Is that part of the policy intended preclude providing an update to
kernel-package (or any other tool) that might be needed? It would
be good to clarify that.

> Well, in both cases it will not be, so pushing in kernel-package 9.005
> would be less work. And no, modifying linux-2.6 to use the sarge
> kernel-package is not possible, which is why we fixed kernel-package.
>
> The other solution would be for the linux-2.6 build to check the
> version of kernel-package, and apply a patch to fix the issue if the
> one in sarge is found.

I am not quite sure what you are getting at there. Patch kernel-package
in place?

Another solution I thought of would be to bundle kernel-package inside
linux-2.6 (for volatile/sarge) somewhere. Though I am not sure
how much surgery would be required to relocate kernel-package.

--
Horms