Re: 2.6.12 in volatile?

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 12:18:18PM -0600, dann frazier wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 10:43 -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > So, was there any decision whether to provide 2.6.8+security in
> > volatile, or just backport linux-2.6 (2.6.12)?  I need to do a 2.6.12
> > backport, so if people are wanting 2.6.12 for volatile, I'll do that;
> > however, if people want 2.6.8+security in volatile, I'll just put 2.6.12
> > in p.d.o/~dilinger, and make it known via apt-get.org.
> >
> > I've had reports of breakage with 2.6.12 and sarge which I believe are
> > related to udev, so we might need to keep that updated as well.  There
> > is also some breakage with powerpc and older versions of kernel-package;
> > we'd need to determine what's necessary for that (my tests on i386 w/
> > 2.6.12-1 went just fine w/ the kernel-package that's in sarge).
>
> I think 2.6.12 is a better fit for what I think of as volatile - it adds
> support for a lot more hardware than our 2.6.8 update does.
>
> However, it would be good to stick our 3.0rX-targeted 2.6.8's somewhere
> where people can find them until we get them into a point release.
>
> So, how about we put both on volatile?

Thats pretty much what I have been thinking about.
>From the 2.6.8 (and 2.4.27) side I would like to see:
  - updates to volatile (what is currently in SVN)
  - updates to security (the security-only portion of what is in SVN)
  Sorry I haven't released these, I'm natrually cautious about
  these things (i.e. its in my nature). I'd like to get a better
  handle on what is in the BTS before releasing. And I'd like
  to work out what to do in relation to source-version descrepancies
  in sarge: http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2005/08/msg00272.html

And for 2.6.12, I'd like to see what is currently in security +
whatever backports are required. Let me know what I can do to help here.

--
Horms