Re: Sarge kernels and Volatile

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 12:14:24PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Horms (horms@debian.org) [050801 12:01]:
> > On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 11:52:48AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > Yes, that was about my intention as well. So, yes, please move forward
> > > with 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 and send a list of recommended updates.
>
> > I need to go through the BTS and see what else could go in.
> > But what I have right now is listed at in the following Changelogs.
> >
> > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/trunk/kernel/source/kernel-source-2.6.8-2.6.8/debian/changelog?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
> > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/trunk/kernel/i386/kernel-image-2.6.8-i386-2.6.8/debian/changelog?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
>
> from a quick glance at these, there is nothing I could see directly that
> seems inappropriate. What I would however like is that all
> security-releated issues are noted with their cve id.

Agreed. All the CVE entries that I am aware of are in there.
Unfortunately CVE destribtions for kernel bugs are vauge, and it is
often very difficult to determine which bug goes with which CVE and
which patch.  Any contributions in this area are more than welcome.
Just drop a a mail to debian-kernel and CC me.

> So, please go on with this, and as soon as you are ready, we can upload.
> However, there is one (minor) issue: I want that the version string
> shows up the word "volatile" so that we cannot get into a version clash
> with the standard archive, so please change also that at some
> appropriate time. :)

Ok, so something like 2.6.8-16 -> 2.6.8-17volatile-1 ?

> Also, I would like to have kernel images for as many architectures
> included as possible, but I'm not going to wait indefinitly for all
> archs to catch up.

I think the best way would be to get the source into volatile
and then prod the other achitecture maintainers. In the past
this seems to have taken about 2 weeks. But I am happy to put them
somewhere else first if you think that is a good idea.

--
Horms