Re: Kernel compiling....

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 10:58:56AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2005 09:15:29 +1000, Horms  <horms@debian.org> said:
>
> > Could you please elaborate? I personally think it is pretty damn
> > hard for kernel-package to cope with all situations, and that in
> > many ways the kernel packates updloaded to d.o are not the general
> > case, so yes we make some use of the hooks provided to do some fun
> > things.  Thats about the only type of kernel package I build, so its
> > a bit hard to step back and say, hey this might be useful for other
> > things too.
>
>         Well, on IRC I was informed that kernel-package sucked, that
>  the kernel team spent lots of times working around bugs and missing
>  functionality in kernel-package.  If this is the case, I consider it
>  a pity.

That hasn't been my experience of late. I've struggled with one or two
things, but generally either found a fix and sent it to you, or
found some option that helped my cause.

> > I am sure the kernel-package maintainer would be happy to hear of
> > any features you would like included in that code, I have CCed him
> > on this mail.
>
> 	Absolutely.  I have always tried to accommodate kernel image
>  maintainers -- when they asked for features. This has been a long
>  tradition, starting with the ./debian/official exceptions that
>  Herbert Xu asked for, years and years ago.
>

>         I would prefer to keep kernel-package arch and version
>  agnostic, as fas as possible, but  I'm willing to put in as many
>  hooks as are needed, and provide sample implementations for things
>  that hook into those hooks.
>
>         For starters, it would be nice if the configs used in official
>  kernels were available in the configs directory of kernel-package,so
>  that user of stand alone kernels could use those as a guide.

That may become easier as we move to a single-source kernel package.
Easier in the sense that kernel configs should become more consistent
over different architectures and their flavours. Although this will only
conver the architectures that are managed by the kernel team (about half
of them).  However, it isn't apparent to me how kernel-package could
easily keep its own copy of these configs up to date. Perhaps it could
get them from a package produced by said single-source kernel.

--
Horms