Re: kernel-source-2.6.11

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:12:37 -0800, Steven Ihde wrote:

> Andres Salomon wrote:
>> time, that was just legacy.  Second, prune-non-free was replaced w/ a more
>> generic ruby script (available in SVN, in trunk/scripts).  This was used
>> to generate two .orig.tar.gzs: one for kernel-source-2.6.11, and another
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm not able to compile 2.6.11-1 on i386.  It fails with the following
> error:
>
>   LD      drivers/scsi/built-in.o
> ld: drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/built-in.o: No such file: No such file or directory
> make[3]: *** [drivers/scsi/built-in.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [drivers/scsi] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [drivers] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.11'
> make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2

Blah.

> Looks like this is related to the non-free pruning?  QLA2xxx is one of
> the removed drivers, but there are still some references to it hanging
> around, for example in drivers/scsi/Makefile and
> drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/{Kconfig,Makefile}.
> remove-references-to-removed-drivers.patch.bz2 from
> kernel-patch-debian-2.6.11 seems not to have been applied, I guess
> because of the new non-free pruning.  At the moment it won't apply
> cleanly at all; several hunks in it are reversed and some just fail.

Right, prune-non-free should be
doing things that remove-references-to-removed-drivers.patch used to.  I
was hoping to keep the script simple by processing only non-free drivers
and their current directories, not their parent directories as well.

> It
doesn't seem to matter which way CONFIG_QLA2XXX is set, the compile
> still fails with the same error.  For some reason, CONFIG_QLA2XXX
> defaulted to "y" when I did a "make oldconfig" with my 2.6.10
> configuration.

Hm, odd, it built fine for me.  Try a 'make mrproper', then run 'make
oldconfig', and then disable CONFIG_QLA2XXX before starting the build.
You may have just had the old deps lying around after you reconfigured.

> Removing the reference to qla2xxx in drivers/scsi/Makefile allows the
> compile to complete.

Hm, I'll have to play w/ it and add something that deletes empty makefile
inclusions from parent directories to prune-non-free.  Thanks for
reporting this.