Re: lvm2 crashes and burns with 2.6.10-4 (svn snapshot 2298)

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Tracked down to 033-rlimit_memlock_check.dpatch.  I did not check whether
> 034-stack_resize_exploit.dpatch also causes problems, since it does not
> apply without 033.

Curiously enough, something IS setting a 32kbyte limit on locked memory even
on the emergency shell (i.e. these limits are active during the early boot
sequence).  That caused the segfault, as the above patches were enforcing
that limit.  I am pretty sure I have not asked for such a draconian limit
anywhere (and all greps I could think of seem to agree with me) -- and such
a limit is cleary something we would be better off without at the early boot
sequence.

I will see if I can track down the culprit to make sure it is something
stupid *I* did, as opposed to something higly stupid sysv-init or the kernel
itself is doing, and file bugs accordingly depending on what I find.

Anyway, apparently such limit enforcement is considered a bug (regardless of
the fact that there should be no limit to be enforced in the first place),
and Herbert Xu sent me a patch that fixes the issue.  Thanks, Herbert!
Maybe that patch should make it to the SVN tree?

PS: Herbert, my provider seems to have screwed up again, and my static IP is
being blacklisted by your server, so my replies to you were probably
discarded.

  Henrique Holschuh