Re: Debian stock 2.6 kernel for amd k6

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 01:35:39PM -0700, Anthony wrote:
> howdy all,
>
> I've used debian stable for most of my computers and have always used
> the kernel-image-2.4.18-1-k6 package for all my k6 machines  I've
> started to switch to testing/sarge and notice there was not a specific
> k6 build for the 2.6 kernel.  Is the i386 kernel the correct one to use?
> Is there a reason as to why there is not a specific k6 kernel in testing
> as it is in testing?  I'm assuming that there are performance
> advantages to using a kernel compiled with k6 instructions as opposed
> to the i386.

Hi Anthony,

the 2.6 kernels in sarge/sid (2.6.7 and 2.6.8) do not have a k6 build.
However the 2.4 kernels do (2.4.26 and 2.4.27). I was not involved in
the decision not to include a k6 build for 2.6 so I can't comment on
that. However, I can say that there is talk of adding some additional
builds, particularly smp for all existing builds as well as p4,
particularly p4-smp to take advantage of hyperthreading. That will not
happen until sarge is out, however, input on what builds are useful is
more than welcome. I would be particularly interested to hear if there
are any real advantages in a k6 build for 2.6 (or 2.4) over any of the
existing builds.

--
Horms