Re: updated kernels / miata sound?

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Steve Langasek wrote:

Fixed kernel sources have been prepared, but it doesn't appear that they've even been uploaded yet to unstable; they certainly haven't reached testing yet, and the kernel-image packages are definitely a way off. You'd want to check with the debian-kernel list for any sort of firmer timeline.

Ok. Thanks.

Neither my memory nor a quick google search turns up any promising hits over the past year. You would probably need to run this question by debian-kernel as well, since they're the ones responsible for kernel maintenance -- you might also want to provide more information about the specifics of your sound hardware, as I don't know if a reference to Miata will tell them any more than it told me.

Sorry, I assumed it'd be common knowledge on the alpha list as to what sound hardware the Miata has ;) - apologies. Its ES1888, using the snd-es18xx ALSA driver. I ran some kind of sound setup utility (whose name I cant remember right now - a debian user told me of it - might have been alsaconf) and it setup /etc/modprobe.d/sound for me, though I changed it slightly to follow the settings given in:

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2004/10/msg00087.html

Which was a question posted to debian-alpha on whether anyone had gotten miata sound working with 2.6.

My /etc/modprobe.d/sound file contains:

options snd  device_mode=0660
alias snd-card-0 snd-es18xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-es18xx
options snd-es18xx enable=1 isapnp=0 dma1=1 port=0x220 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=5 mpu_port=0x330
install snd-es18xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-es18xx && /usr/lib/alsa/modprobe-post-install snd-es18xx

However, modprobe snd-es18xx results in an oops (register dump trimmed for brevity):

Nov 26 23:22:35 chili kernel: Trace:
Nov 26 23:22:35 chili kernel: [sys_init_module+496/932] sys_init_module+0x1f0/0x 3a4
Nov 26 23:22:35 chili kernel: [entSys+164/192] entSys+0xa4/0xc0
Nov 26 23:22:35 chili kernel:
Nov 26 23:22:35 chili kernel: Code: b53e0008  4a219691  4a203691  4140300a  f63ffffd  205f2000 <a43000b0> 484a0731

(indeed, quite a few module loads give that oops).

The modules are loaded though, however sound does not work (presumably because whichever module it was oopsed above never completed initialising).

Tyson Whitehead replied to the above mentioned debian-alpha post about 2.6 es18xx problems on alpha with:

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2004/10/msg00089.html

Pointing out that ISA is currently broken on Alpha and referencing patches of his needed to allow ISA devices to work (alpha-isa.patch), as well as an es18xx alsa patch to alleviate skipping problems (alpha-isa.patch) at:

	http://whitehead.apmaths.uwo.ca/~tyson/

So what I'm wondering is, what's the status of these patches? If they're known to fix problems could they be included in alpha builds until such time as these problems are fixed upstream?

You pointed me at debian-kernel, so presumably I should post my questions there.. Cc'ing with this mail.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie	paul@jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: