Re: [...] smaller powerpc kernels or oldworld/miboot flavour.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:36:43PM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Christoph Hellwig writes:
>
> > Fine with me.  I'll also commit the modular swim3 and anslcd patches
> > ASAP which should probably go into -4.
>
> -4 is already in unstable, with the G4 errata fix.

Christoph may be speaking about kernel-source though.

> > > Anyway, i believe that it is needed to take action now, and build
> > > a new powerpc-oldworld-pmac config which is especially suited to
> > > building miboot floppies for the oldworld pmac debian-installer,
> > > for those who don't have mac os 9 anymore and still want to
> > > install debian on their pmac hardware.
>
> There is a 2.4 based miBoot installer, so no need to rush anything.

Apart that it installs a 2.4 kernel, which is not what we would like to
happen.

> > Do we have a number on how many people actually did that with woody?
>
> No, but we have a number on how many people tested the above-mentioned
> 2.4 based miBoot installer: Zero.

Untrue. I had upto 3-4 testers at one time, and a few folk who confirmed me
that they don't have macos on their oldworlds, and thus cannot go the bootx
way.