Re: debian-installer release date is august 1, no advancement on smaller powerpc kernels or oldworld/miboot flavour.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 03:59:10PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 06:44:43PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, action needs to be taken, i believe. The debian-installer release date
> > has been set to august 1, and i don't believe that it would be reasonable to
> > continue modularizing the powerpc kernel unto then, since it could result in
> > unneeded breakage so near the release. A 2.6.7-4 upload with the packages
> > currently in subversion should be a good thing though, since it fixes the
> > stability issue due to the G4 errata problem, which affects the pegasos, but
> > may also affect some Apple hardware, not sure though.
>
> Fine with me.  I'll also commit the modular swim3 and anslcd patches
> ASAP which shoould probably go into -4.
>
> > Anyway, i believe that it is needed to take action now, and build a new
> > powerpc-oldworld-pmac config which is especially suited to building miboot
> > floppies for the oldworld pmac debian-installer, for those who don't have mac
> > os 9 anymore and still want to install debian on their pmac hardware.
>
> Do we have a number on how many people actually did that with woody?

I suppose most of it. I know that some users have access to an oldworld mac,
but no macos to go with it, and those boxes are actually noninstallable.

> How much smaller do you need the kernel image for that to work?

I need a kernel which is around 1300MB co,pressed. We areat around 1580MB or
so right now, so around 300MB of compressed size must go:

Still, given the fbdev situation, it would make sense to split, since we could
then have a normal kernel without all the oldworld fbdevs.

I fear that it will be too late for sarge right now anyway.

Friendly;