Re: question about svn/upload procedure

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:14:09PM -0400, dann frazier wrote:
> hey,
>   I have a question about the upload procedure specified in our README
> in svn.  It suggests exporting the package prior to upload, and the example
> it gives is an export from the svn repo (as opposed to an export from
> my working tree).  This is before the step of checking in the changes.

Yes. We have to make sure we upload exactly what is in the svn repo. I don't
think using your svn copy over the svn repo changes a thing, just make sure
you checked it in.

>   At this point, the target release specified in the repo (and therefore
> the exported tree) will still be set to UNRELEASED, and a build from
> this pristine tree wouldn't be uploadable.  So my question is, how do
> others deal with this?

well, one solution would be to do the change in your working copy and check it
in after the upload and before tagging. Another way would be to checkit in
before the export. In both case there may be problems when someone else does
a modification during this process.

>   If the procedure was changed to export from the local directory, then
> we could make these changes locally, prepare a build, then commit the
> tree used for the build.  This leaves the race of a someone making a change
> to the repository between the time the local export happens and the commit
> of the changes occurs; however, this can be detected prior to upload
> if the tag happens first.

Maybe you would do the tag in your local repo before upload, and check it in
after the upload.