question about svn/upload procedure

hey,
  I have a question about the upload procedure specified in our README
in svn.  It suggests exporting the package prior to upload, and the example
it gives is an export from the svn repo (as opposed to an export from
my working tree).  This is before the step of checking in the changes.

  At this point, the target release specified in the repo (and therefore
the exported tree) will still be set to UNRELEASED, and a build from
this pristine tree wouldn't be uploadable.  So my question is, how do
others deal with this?

  If the procedure was changed to export from the local directory, then
we could make these changes locally, prepare a build, then commit the
tree used for the build.  This leaves the race of a someone making a change
to the repository between the time the local export happens and the commit
of the changes occurs; however, this can be detected prior to upload
if the tag happens first.