Re: Open a discussion about bug 253324

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 07:36:06PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:37:53AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Two: The official Debian kernel is modularized to a great extent.  On
> > > i386, all framebuffer drivers and framebuffer console support itself
> >
> > This is bullshit. I don't think it is a great idea to modularize the
> > kernel, and thus lose all the early debugging.
>
> You don't.  x86 still has vgacon, which allows much earlier debugging
> than any of the FB drivers.

And you are supposed to be our resident powerpc kernel expert. Shame on
you ...

What do i care that x86 has vgacon, if the powerpc kernel package is
removing all the builtin drivers, i will not have _ANY_ early debugging
output, unless you are prepared to bring an x86 emulator into the
kernel, and port vesafb or something such.