Re: Open a discussion about bug 253324

Hi,

Bluefuture writes:

> > The low techie people I came across think that anything beside
> > graphics are "old computing" or recovery broken things... so a
> > bootsplash help they to trust the operating system (the computer
> > as whole object from their point of view).
>
> I'm totally agree on this point. In my experience of installing
> debian to many different kind of people this is a very diffuse user
> cases and not only for low tech people also for avg tech people.
> It's a little psicological problem against debian that a small and
> tested kernel patch could solve.

Psychology aside, there are two technical reasons for not integrating
this kernel patch.

One: It works exclusively with vesafb and this sucks.  But let's
assume for the moment that we all have nothing but i386 hardware and
continue to

Two: The official Debian kernel is modularized to a great extent.  On
i386, all framebuffer drivers and framebuffer console support itself
are built as modules.  Therefore, the console stays pitch black until
those drivers are loaded, which happens exactly here:

# head -2 /initrd/loadmodules
modprobe -k  vesafb > /dev/null 2>&1
modprobe -k  fbcon 2> /dev/null

Nothing stops you from loading pretty pictures at this point (or not
load the drivers at all, then XFree86 will be the first thing you
see), but as Herbert rightly said, this can be done from userspace.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!  Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je
pézqbpbe je djuz tqtaj!