Re: status of 2.6.7 ?

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 09:43:40PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 08:19:07AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
[...]
>> > For example, i know that the XF86Config-4 file needs to be changed when
>> > using a ps2 mouse, since it was /dev/psaux previously, and is
>> > /dev/input/mice now. Breaking X during the upgrade is hardly acceptable
>> > if we are going to make 2.6 the default.
[...]
> But i hear there is a psaux workaround in the 2.6 package by Herbert. Is
> this still there, or did it get removed by Christoph and William, and if
> so, why?

There is the possibilty for psmouse.ko to _additionally_ provide
/dev/psaux
config INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX_ENABLE
        bool "Enable /dev/psaux device by default"
and it is at least enabled in
kernel-image-2.6.7-1-386_2.6.7-1_i386.deb uploaded by dilinger. However
this is no fix. - If you upgrade from Kernel 2.4 you'll have two
mousedevices[1] in XF86Config-4, /dev/psaux as primary one and
/dev/input/mice as optional secondary one. - The result is that with 2.6
every mousemovement (or click) is doubled. - So you'll need to
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and select /dev/input/mice.

The only real fix I can imagine is:
* 2.6 does not provide /dev/psaux anymore
* XFree starts treating /dev/psaux and /dev/input/mice equally if both
  are listed, i.e. it will work if _either_ of them are accessible
  instead of insiting on the primary one.

            cu andreas

[1] I assume this was added for laptops, the primary device being a
touchpad, the secondary one a USB-mouse which is not always connected.