Re: initrd on installed kernels

Hi,

Thibaut Varene writes:

> agreed, though "it used to work".

Once upon a time, the Linux kernel with all available IDE and SCSI
drivers compiled in fit on a floppy disk :)

> RE Jens' mail: the initrd used is the stock one, I didn't change
> anything (yet).

There is no stock initrd, the initrd is built to fit the system you
install on.  Try whether you can speed up the process by fiddling with
/etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf and, if you feel adventurous, with
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd.  Send the patches to the initrd-tools maintainer.

> If you consider the fact that he switched because he was tired of
> the slowlyness of MSWin (and the virus stories), boot speed is quite
> a point for a "basic" user

How long exactly does it take with 2.4.18-bf24 and 2.4.26?  Is there a
point where the system sits unusually long, seemingly doing nothing?

> I thought that this "real end user experience report" might be of
> any use to us kernel hackers/packagers.

If it teaches us something beyond the simple fact that newer software
tends to run slower on older hardware, maybe.

Regards, Jens.

P.S.: What is this MSWin thing, anyway?  I remember switching to
Debian from NetBSD, and I really enjoyed the experience :)

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!