Re: initrd on installed kernels

-------------------
> Hi,
>
> Thibaut Varene writes:
>
> > agreed, though "it used to work".
>
> Once upon a time, the Linux kernel with all available IDE and SCSI
> drivers compiled in fit on a floppy disk :)

heh. You can still find distros with X11 on a floppy disk ;)

> > RE Jens' mail: the initrd used is the stock one, I didn't change
> > anything (yet).
>
> There is no stock initrd, the initrd is built to fit the system you
> install on.  Try whether you can speed up the process by fiddling
with
> /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf and, if you feel adventurous, with
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd.  Send the patches to the initrd-tools
maintainer.

Good point, will look after it.

> > If you consider the fact that he switched because he was tired of
> > the slowlyness of MSWin (and the virus stories), boot speed is
quite
> > a point for a "basic" user
>
> How long exactly does it take with 2.4.18-bf24 and 2.4.26?  Is there
> point where the system sits unusually long, seemingly doing nothing?

The main difference (the only one _really_ noticeable) stands at very
early stage, when lilo loads the kernel (and the initrd now).
The "Loading Linux......." dot-bar progress message that used to last
a couple of seconds is now taking tens of secs.

> > I thought that this "real end user experience report" might be of
> > any use to us kernel hackers/packagers.
>
> If it teaches us something beyond the simple fact that newer
software
> tends to run slower on older hardware, maybe.

I don't see this issue as "newer software tends to run slower on older
hardware". That's more "additionnal *features* (cruft ?) makes
software less responsive", imho ;)

> Regards, Jens.
>
> P.S.: What is this MSWin thing, anyway?  I remember switching to
> Debian from NetBSD, and I really enjoyed the experience :)

heh. I have some boxes which I really enjoyed switching to NetBSD
_from_ Debian (really old & tiny hardware, 68LC030@25MHz, 36M RAM) ;)

MSWin meant MicroSoft Windows, sorry for my unclear abbreviations.

> --
> J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
> Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je pézqbpbe je djuz tqtaj!

btw, what does _that_ mean ? ;)

Thibaut VARENE
PA/Linux ESIEE Team
http://www.pateam.org/