Re: [wli@holomorphy.com: Re: NMU: kernel]

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 02:52:46PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 02:44:29PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Christophe, this you are telling is pure bullshit. I have been asking
> > for help on the powerpc kernel packages for month, go look at the
> > debian-powerpc mailing list if you are doubtfull, and upto now only Jens
> > responded. I find it highly strange that a bunch of other people appear
> > now that wants to take over the powerpc kernel stuff, while not even
> > bothering to contact the actual powerpc kernel maintainers.
>
> Huh?  As William mentioned no one wants to take over any packages. What

Well, but you were anything but tactfull about this, and you should
comprehend our reaction (well, mine, i don't know how Jens learned about
this). I am the maintainer of the powerpc kernel, and out of nothing, it
is announced on debian-devel that a new kernel team is formed, and that
there is someone which will be responsible for powerpc kernels, without
us even being informed of it, or even cited or whatever.

> I mentioned is that the separate packages must die, and with that I mean
> the existing maintainers should cooperate, not new maintainers should
> take over.

Well, my experience in packaging powerpc kernels for debian tells me
that a single kernel source for all architectures may not always be in
the best interest, it depends on how it is handled and everything, but i
would be interested on how you plan to handle the powerpc/apus case,
whose patches are possibly not easily integrable with the remaining of
the powerpc patches, let alone the non-powerpc ones. Have you thought
about such things, before taking such an agressive stance on this issue ?