Re: Careful with dist-upgrade in unstable at the moment

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 11:10 PM Aurélien COUDERC <coucouf@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Le mercredi 21 décembre 2022, 21:37:45 CET Marc Haber a écrit :
> > On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 12:50:45PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > Marc Haber - 21.12.22, 12:00:39 CET:

> > > I usually do "dist-upgrade", but then look carefully what it is about to
> > > do. If I don't like that, I only to "upgrade".
> > >
> > > Of course one can argue it is safer to do it the other way around.
> >
> > P.S. dist-upgrade is as deprecated as it could be, it's not even in the
> > man page any more
>
> That can be correct or incorrect depending on which manpage you’re looking at. :)
> dist-upgrade is an argument for apt-get while full-upgrade is for apt.
>
> I’d like to recommend using « apt upgrade » which has a slightly different behaviour than apt-get : it will upgrade already installed packages but also install new packages where necessary (which apt-get upgrade won’t do).
>
> This will leave full-upgrade with less things to do and for me to review. The only remaining packages should have a note in their changelog about doing a split, replacing another package or adding a Breaks/Replace condition. I regularly check this when I see non obvious removals (and by obvious I really only mean libfooN+1 replacing libfooN).

Hi Aurlien,

In 2017 I told my co-worker that I will continue to use apt-get which
I still do.
IIRC these days the Debian upgrade manuals announced the usage of apt.
It is a sort of satisfaction to read that apt behaves (in certain
scenarios) differently.

Yes, the man-page of apt-get lists "dist-upgrade".

I remember the discussion about apt(-get) VS. aptitude in Debian and
sidux forums.
But that was 15 years ago.
So, apps might change like time did.

Thanks.