Re: Careful with dist-upgrade in unstable at the moment

On Thu, Dec 22, 2022 at 10:53 AM Martin Steigerwald <martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:

> Martin Steigerwald - 22.12.22, 09:16:50 CET:
> > I made an interesting experience regarding the current Qt transition:
> > I updated a ThinkPad X1 Gen 1 Tablet with "apt upgrade" yesterday.
> >
> > Parts of the Plasma desktop are still broken. Some part of systray
> > misses some QML files, KRunner shows up as an empty pane without
> > anything, the lock screen is not usable and several other issues. So
> > it can still happen with just "apt upgrade" that you have an only
> > partly usable system afterwards. Of course I'd argue that this is an
> > issue with missing versioned dependencies. However it appears to me
> > that it is quite different to completely get this right with a
> > software stack of this complexity.
> >
> > So I will just wait until a "full-upgrade" can run through fully on
> > this tablet and probably stay away from a "upgrade" on my laptop as
> > well for a few days. However I used "apt upgrade" to upgrade my
>
> Well, which was possible today already. All issues I found are fixed by
> today's update.
>
> I also fully upgraded on my main laptop. All fine there as well.
>
> So at least for the sets of packages I use, the update goes through
> smoothly now. According to
>
> https://release.debian.org/transitions/html/qtbase-abi-5-15-7.html
>
> almost all packages are built for AMD64 already.
>
> > laptop earlier on the same day and have seen no such updates. The
> > tablet has not been updated for a longer time, but that should not
> > really make much of a difference.
>
> And that might have made *the* difference. Some KF5 related packages were
> still at 5.90 on this tablet after the "apt upgrade" yesterday. Of
> course these were more current version on my main laptop.

Hi Martin,

I can confirm I see no REMOVALS of KF/KP/KG packages when I simulate
an (dist-)upgrade.

Can you boot into KDE version 5.26.4 with QT version 5.15.7 packages
upgraded as of today?
Do the KDE applications work as (you) expected?

Thanks

Regards,
-Sedat-

P.S.: I checked myself with apt VS. apt-get (upgrade and full-upgrade
VS. dist-upgrade).