Re: Careful with dist-upgrade in unstable at the moment

Marc Haber - 21.12.22, 21:37:45 CET:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 12:50:45PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Marc Haber - 21.12.22, 12:00:39 CET:
> > >
> > > *AMEN* to that.
> >
> > I usually do "dist-upgrade", but then look carefully what it is
> > about to do. If I don't like that, I only to "upgrade".
> >
> > Of course one can argue it is safer to do it the other way around.
>
> I find it way easier to have apt reduce the problem riskless first.
> It's a shorter list of actions to review.

Good argument. My argument is that in the usual situation trying "apt
full-upgrade" first will save me one command. With "apt upgrade" I often
enough would have to use "apt full-upgrade" afterwards. But more often
"apt full-upgrade" just does its job. Even in Debian Unstable (or Devuan
Ceres).

I made an interesting experience regarding the current Qt transition: I
updated a ThinkPad X1 Gen 1 Tablet with "apt upgrade" yesterday.

Parts of the Plasma desktop are still broken. Some part of systray
misses some QML files, KRunner shows up as an empty pane without
anything, the lock screen is not usable and several other issues. So it
can still happen with just "apt upgrade" that you have an only partly
usable system afterwards. Of course I'd argue that this is an issue with
missing versioned dependencies. However it appears to me that it is
quite different to completely get this right with a software stack of
this complexity.

So I will just wait until a "full-upgrade" can run through fully on this
tablet and probably stay away from a "upgrade" on my laptop as well for
a few days. However I used "apt upgrade" to upgrade my laptop earlier on
the same day and have seen no such updates. The tablet has not been
updated for a longer time, but that should not really make much of a
difference.

Anyway, Qt transitions had been painful in the past. I still remember
having not been able to login to a Plasma desktop for days to come. I
installed MATE back then I think in order to have a working desktop.

> P.S. dist-upgrade is as deprecated as it could be, it's not even in
> the man page any more

I know about full-upgrade. But actually do not care all that much as
long as the other one still works. Habits. But right, publicly it would
be better to write "full-upgrade".

Ciao,
--
Martin