Re: 5.23 starting move to testing

Oct. 19, 2021, 17:35 by norbert@preining.info:

> That is a question we are facing since long, and apt does not provide a
> solution. We want to force that updates can only be done in lockstep,
> that is, packages cannot be updated to new major versions without
> updating all.
>
> But unfortunately, apt doesn't have an easy solution for that.
> One idea was to make a virtual "abi package" (like we do for the PIM
> packages) and inject dependencies so that each package depends on the
> virtual abi package.
> But this is also not very nice and easy a solution.
>
> Best
>
> Norbert

Thank you, Norbert, for responding with helpful information. I appreciate your time.

If I understand you correctly, the design weakness is in the apt system itself and how it builds and navigates the dependency graph? Does the deb file standard provide the flexibility to provide this information, or would it have to be changed, too, in an 'ideal system'?