Re: 5.23 starting move to testing

On 19.10.21 23:35, Norbert Preining wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2021, Borden wrote:
That said, Erwin, I don't have an answer to your question. Probably stricter
constraints in the packages may help, but not completely and it  may be
complicated to implement.

Out of curiosity, how would the apt system have to change - strictly in theory - for something like this to be achieved?

That is a question we are facing since long, and apt does not provide a
solution. We want to force that updates can only be done in lockstep,
that is, packages cannot be updated to new major versions without
updating all.

But unfortunately, apt doesn't have an easy solution for that.
One idea was to make a virtual "abi package" (like we do for the PIM
packages) and inject dependencies so that each package depends on the
virtual abi package.
But this is also not very nice and easy a solution.

Best

Norbert

Fujitsu Research  +  IFMGA Guide  +  TU Wien  +  TeX Live  + Debian Dev

Could it be an idea to let all KDE packages depend on the version of something building part of the common core to all KDE apps, like "libkf5plasma5" (just an example, I am not sure if this specific package would be the right candidate), and even if there is no change of code for this package still increasing its (libkf5plasma5) version number as needed for the desired apt result?

Thanks for KDE! Best wishes,
Marco.