Re: wayland

On 29.06.20 15:54, Borden Rhodes wrote:
On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 at 09:36, Marco Möller
<talby@debianlists.mobilxpress.net> wrote:

Interested to discover Wayland without risking to lose my much
personalized settings for my KDE Plasma X11 desktop environment (and
without drawing in new desktop apps), is it enough to simply install
package  kwin-Wayland?
Are there any current (Plasma X11) settings which might become changed
and would not immediately be in use no more if choosing at the sddm
login screen to enter a Plasma X11 session again?
Marco.

I brought this matter up a few weeks ago, and the response is that
Wayland _shouldn't_ mulch any of your settings - but it might. KDE on
Wayland in Debian has a lot of rough edges and should be considered
beta. I've found I've needed to work around crashes, quirks and
missing features. It's possible that a KDE app may change a setting
and X won't know how to read it. Some things that work in X11 don't in
Wayland and vice-versa.

Thanks for this information, this is what I needed to know.
I was aware already that I will be a beta tester when using it. But I then won't do this on my usual laptop. After having learned from you that Wayland and X11 do not strictly separate there settings but share them although producing interference I am then better opting for a separate OS install.
Thanks a lot for the fast and helpful reply!
Marco.