Re: Does Plasma/KDE work under Wayland?

On Wednesday, 10 June 2020 14:05:53 PDT Borden Rhodes wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>
> I'm following up on a message for which I don't believe I received a
> response on 29 May. I'm trying to transition to Plasma using Wayland
> instead of X, and I'm encountering many stability and usability
> problems.
>
> In general, should Plasma on Wayland in Bullseye be stable enough for
> day-to-day use or should I continue to use X as the bugs get stamped
> out? The online documentation is woefully inconsistent, some sources
> saying that Wayland should be good to go and others saying to avoid it
> at all costs.
>
> If Wayland should be stable on Bullseye, then I'll have a slew of bug
> reports to file! (starting with the lack of useful logging)
>
> With thanks,

Hi Borden,

Sorry that your message was lost. You are not alone, I am using Sid and I am
still using X with KDE. Plasma on Wayland is not ready yet according
to my requirements, but I try it once in a while anyway.

The work upstream is ongoing, check out the links below [1][2] to get more
information - leading KDE developers admit that Wayland support is still far
from perfect but it gets better every day.

Unfortunately packaging KDE/Plasma is hard and it takes a lot of time, so
there is also a noticeable delay between upstream releases and packages
availability. Keep testing is the minimum we can do for Debian. But if you
have time and desire - reporting bugs upstream and helping with packaging
are also time-worthy activities/

[1] https://kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.19.0
[2] https://pointieststick.com/2020/06/08/lenovo-thinkpad-x1-yoga-impressions-bugs-workarounds-and-thoughts-about-the-future/

--