Re: Does Plasma/KDE work under Wayland?

A showstopper that made KMail unusable has recently been fixed upstream, and my
impression is that semi-drastic changes are still being made. It is my
expectation that Wayland will not be the default. Whether it should be
installed by default as a preview available, like GNOME was with Debian
Stretch when you could choose 'GNOME on Wayland' from GDM, is a discussion not
yet had.

Perhaps the perceived silence is due to a lack of testers. I appreciate your
taking this up. I personally suggest that instead of reporting bugs in the
Debian BTS, you search both KDE and Debian bug trackers and upstream commit
logs for the issue in the case it's already fixed, and if no matches turn feel
free to report then.

Also feel free to send the issues to the pkg-kde-talk@alioth-lists.debian.net
developers list, or to me personally, so that we may help reproducing and
debugging, especially if you need help navigating the bug trackers and commit
logs. Your careful focus on the Wayland effort would be much welcome.

By the way, when filing bugs upstream please do use the 'wayland' keyword [1].
If you haven't seen the showstoppers list already, or want to add your own to
the page after filing reports, take a look at the wiki page [2].

Thanks for your interest in helping KDE.

[1] https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland#Wayland_Support_in_Plasma
[2] https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers