Re: KDE Plasma LTS for Debian stable

On 10/12/2020 18:12, Joe McEntire wrote:
> I don't know where this information is coming from, but 5.19.5 is in testing
> right now. Experimental has 5.20 and there's talk of getting 5.20.5 in time
> for the freeze, so we'll probably end up with some iteration of 5.20 in stable
> if I had to take a stab at it. I cannot imagine a world where Debian's KDE
> team puts in all the work to get these newer versions in, just to roll back to
> something that is older than what is in current stable. Current stable
> (Buster) uses 5.14! So rest easy, there's no way we're going to have 5.12 or
> 5.8 in stable, it's just not a thing.
>
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/kwin

I understand the question as why is debian targeting 5.20 for the next
stable instead of 5.18 LTS. The answer is simple: LTS means 1.5 year of
support, maybe more [1]. That's not long enough for the debian release
cycle: 5.18 was at the beginning of this year. That means support will
end at about the time or shortly after the next debian stable will be
released.

[1] https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5#LTS_releases