Re: KDE Plasma LTS for Debian stable

I get that, and really I think Debian should target LTS with pretty much
everything. Unfortunately in my opinion KDE is kind of in a bad state right
now with regards to wayland. The newest versions offer a much better
experience for people want a modern desktop with better touch support, etc.
For instance, I'm using 5.20 on my xps 13 with wayland because I want the
touch screen to be better supported.  Unfortunately Kontact, trackpad
scrolling, and other bugs are making the experience pretty rough under
wayland, even on 5.20. I don't think going backwards to 5.18 is going to fix
that as those bugs and issues were even worse there. Really I wish that KDE
could be kept more up-to-date throughout the life cycle of stable. It feels
like if you have a bug in KDE, you're generally going to have to deal with
that bug until the next stable, which is why I'm hoping for the newest
possible release we can get. As it stands I may even continue to track testing
with my laptop simply because I want the 5.21 changes.

On Thursday, December 10, 2020 12:46:16 PM EST Simon Frei wrote:
On 10/12/2020 18:12, Joe McEntire wrote:
> I don't know where this information is coming from, but 5.19.5 is in testing
> right now. Experimental has 5.20 and there's talk of getting 5.20.5 in time
> for the freeze, so we'll probably end up with some iteration of 5.20 in
stable
> if I had to take a stab at it. I cannot imagine a world where Debian's KDE
> team puts in all the work to get these newer versions in, just to roll back
> something that is older than what is in current stable. Current stable
> (Buster) uses 5.14! So rest easy, there's no way we're going to have 5.12 or
> 5.8 in stable, it's just not a thing.
>
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/kwin

I understand the question as why is debian targeting 5.20 for the next
stable instead of 5.18 LTS. The answer is simple: LTS means 1.5 year of
support, maybe more [1]. That's not long enough for the debian release
cycle: 5.18 was at the beginning of this year. That means support will
end at about the time or shortly after the next debian stable will be
released.

[1] https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5#LTS_releases

--
Thanks,