Re: 18.08; imap.googlemail.com vs. imap.gmail.com; "akonadi resources for google services"

On Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:17:25 PM CEST Frank Mehnert wrote:
> Since the recent kdepim upgrade I cannot read e-mails with kmail anymore.
> First I thought I can fix it like proposed by inkbottle but my problem
> seems to be different:
>
> When kmail tries to synchronize the imap resource for my gmail account then
> the QtWebKit window is shown asking for my credentials. I pass my usual

In my case, after I changed imap.gmail.com to imap.googlemail.com, and
reentered my password, both action being performed inside Kmail-Settings, I am
not asked anymore for *credentials*:

I mean, after performing the above modifications, it's a whole "new" account,
from the point of view of kmail, the one previously existing using
"imap.gmail.com" has been ditched altogether.

And from that point onward, I'm not bothered by any popup dialogue: which
origin I do not know (even if it claims it is Google, I've got not way to
verify that information), and which therefore I obviously do not trust.

(Again, I did had the "credential"-popup after log-in. But I dismissed it, I
answered cancel; Then I did the "hack". And the popup never came back)

It behaves exactly as "the next guy", and not at all after any specific
Google/Oauth pattern.

The trick about using imap.googlemail.com in place of imap.gmail.com, I've
probably learned it here, on that list, or on irc: in any case, googling with
those keywords could provide further clues.

(I understand there is no warranty that imap.googlemail.com will perform as
described above, it might depends on the area you live in, or whatever)

Best,
Chris