Re: Plasma PA and Pulseaudio gconf => gsettings module migration

Hey Marco.

Please do not Cc me.

Marco Paolieri - 28.06.18, 23:43:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 1:44 PM Martin Steigerwald
> <martin@lichtvoll.de>
> wrote:
> > > I have a user who was bit by this (apparently, without dist-
upgrade):
> > To my knowledge without "dist-upgrade" and unless specifically asked
> > to by using "remote" or "purge", apt never ever removes packages.>
> > > Start-Date: 2018-06-28  18:45:04
> > > Commandline: packagekit role='update-packages'
> > > Requested-By: john (1002)
> >
> > > Upgrade:
> > […]
> >
> > > But:
> > >
> > > Remove:
> > > plasma-workspace:amd64 (4:5.12.5-1)
> > > libtaskmanager6:amd64 (4:5.12.5-1)
> >
> > Just *don´t* do it then.
>
> I know, but it wasn't me... the user just clicked YES to the updates

Then tell your user :).

But see below that there may be an issue in Plasma Discover about using
dist-upgrades:

> suggested by KDE package updater. I thought its suggestions came only
> from "apt-get update"-able, not dist-upgrade.
>
> ​By the way, the reason he updated is that sound wasn't working
> anymore (only "dummy output" instead of onboard card).​

Plasma Discover? Oh, I think it may use dist-upgrade by default, at
least up to Plasma LTS 5.12.something. I am not sure whether it is more
careful in recent versions. In any account it should warn about removed
packages. And if it does not it is a bug in Plasma Discover. I remember
having read something in a blog entry by Nate Graham about safe-guarding
Plasma Discover regarding package removals recently.

If the user is comfortable enough with Konsole, I´d recommend using apt
directly. And if the user is not, honestly my opinion is he or she
better uses Debian Stable. Debian Unstable is *not* meant and suitable
for the casual user who is afraid of the command line. I do not think it
is a good idea to upgrade Debian Sid with Plasma Discover unless you are
sure that it warns suitably about package removals. Which it may do with
Plasma Discover from Plasma 5.13, but better double check first.

If there are packages to be removed, always review carefully.

Thanks,
--
Martin