Re: KDEPIM 17.08: The whole thing works

Martin Steigerwald - 17.11.17, 00:01:
> Okay, so I installed Akonadi + KDEPIM 17.08 and the whole things works.

Some additional notes:

It triggers a complete re-indexing of all mails. I aborted it now, cause I
have *tons* of mails in folders for archival and I am happy for now when its
just indexes with what I work with for now. Also Daniel Vrátil works on
considerable changes to the indexing architecture that will make a complete
rebuild of the index necessary anyway:

Randa Report Part 2
https://www.dvratil.cz/2017/09/randa-report-part-2/

Performance-wise I am not very impressed so far. For me it appears mail
filtering probably even got a bit slower. However, its too soon so say
something for sure.

I did not see many visible changes in KMail so far. Mail source view syntax
highlighted now :)

I reviewed KDE Application changelogs. Some things that stood out to me. In
each release there is a huge ton of bug fixes according to full changelogs. I
mainly looked about Akonadi + KDEPIM Runtime, KMail and Akregator, as that is
what I mainly use.

https://www.kde.org/announcements/

https://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-applications-17.08.0.php
- KMail can use external editor, implemented by plugin
- Bugfixes and regex line editor in Sieve editor
- Some changes in KMail transport that I do not really understand
- Seamonkey import in Akonadi import wizard
- Updates to KMail documentation

https://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-applications-17.04.0.php
- Akonadi import wizard can import Sieve rules (I am not sure whether this
wizard is something introduced with 16.12… or was just marked as new there due
to packaging splits, which brought us the delay in NEW queue)
- Better performance for search dialog by caching collection paths

https://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-applications-16.12.0.php:
- KMail and Akregator can use Google Safe Browsing to check if a link being
clicked is malicious. Both have also added back printing support (needs Qt
5.8). => well I will disable that one, should I find in settings, okay, in
KMail it is disabled by default (under "Security / Reading"), as well as in
Akregator (under "Browser")

https://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-applications-16.08.0.php:
- more Qt WebEngine (instead of Webkit, I think KMail)
- detailed changelog: quicker access to search (via class instead of DBUS)

This is just what I found. I bet I may have overlooked quite a bit and there
can be stuff that is important to you, but not to me.

Thanks,
--
Martin