Re: KdePIM results testing migration from Plasma 4 to Plasma 5

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:35:47 AM PST Shawn Sörbom wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 23:05:17 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 16. November 2016, 13:31:12 CET schrieb Shawn Sörbom:
> > > 2. My messages imported alright...but they were imported as a separate
> > > directory structure. Long story short, I now have two "inboxes"-one of
> > > which  is empty.
> >
> > I didn´t use any KDEPIM Settings Importer or other import functionality in
> > KMail. I just moved the maildir directories over to the new location in
> > ~/.local/share/local-mails and pointed the maildir resource there, then
> > gave it some time to synchronise. Also I let it pick up the old kmailrc.
> >
> > Okay, there is one additional step: Before that with KDEPIM 4 I moved all
> > mbox archival folders I had in the mixed maildir resource to an extra
> > resource and switched the main maildir resource from mixed maildir to
> > plain
> > maildir. I still didn´t point a mixed maildir resource to the old archived
> > mails in KDEPIM 5 as last times I tried to do it ate all memory.
> >
> > Maybe you have two mail related resources now. If so you can remove one
> > with Akonadiconsole for example. But make sure to pick the right one :).
> > But even if you pick to wrong one, you can recreate a maildir resource
> > and point it to the maildir location again, as deleting the resource does
> > not delete the data it handles.
> >
> > Read:
> >
> > Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?
> > Submitted by amantia
> > https://blogs.kde.org/2011/11/13/akonadi-misconception-1-where-my-data
> >
> > And this one:
> >
> > akonadi/KDE PIM backup/restore
> > https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdepim-users/2016-October/000351.html
> >
> > > How do I go about providing bug reports from here?
> >
> > Thats a tough one. Why?
> >
> > - I think upstream as in bugs.kde.org would be the right recipient.
> >
> > - But I think upstream neither has the interest nor the manpower to handle
> > issues related to migrate from KDEPIM 4 to 5 anymore – unless it a fix for
> > a bug reproducable within KDEPIM + Akonadi 5. Stable Debian users are
> > among the latest users to migrate.
> >
> > - Quite some of the issue like loosing filters may already be reported and
> > lingering in upstream bugzilla.
> >
> > - Report in Debian then? I think Debian Qt/KDE maintainers do not have the
> > resources to do much more than to refer to upstream. I am happy they are
> > able to provide packages, although for KDEPIM it would be good to have
> > 16.08 instead of 16.04, but this AFAIK is still blocked by packaging Qt
> > WebEngine, which basically is a port of Chromium´s Blink webengine.
> >
> > Still if you want to report anything: Good luck!
> >
> > Otherwise I suggest to struggle your way through. Review resources in this
> > list and in upstream kdepim-users list. Especially in kdepim-users mailing
> > list, but I think also here I covered migration issues more than once. And
> > so did others. Most if not all questions have been answered already and I
> [...]

Hi, I recently made the switch to testing and it seems that almost everything
migrated without any intervention from me. It would seem that my fears were
largely unfounded the only thing I had to fiddle with was migrating kwallet
data, which didn't work the first time I ran it. But I got around that by
resetting the migrated value in ~/.local/share/kwalletd/kwalletrc to "no", and
then restarting kwalletd and kwalletd5 from the command line. A migration
assistant will then ask for your old wallet's password. this should be the
last time this ever happens, as the new wallet appears to be integrated with
PAM. Is there any chance of getting this added to the Debian wiki? I feel it
may be useful there.
--Shawn