Re: Cannot shutown from plasma or sddm

Thank you for your hints Christian,

as I don't have any critical service on my laptop (it's basically my daily desktop computer), i've tried starting it with systemd following the instructions on https://wiki.debian.org/systemd (section "configured for testing"), editing the entry on grub to add init=/bin/systemd
Doing this the computer started correctly and I had been able to shutdown and restarting it. Also fixed a permissions problem with muon-updater (which wasn't critical, because normally I use apt-get).

After testing the computer for a while I've decided to switch to systemd, following the instructions on the wiki page mentioned before, and now everything is working as expected. Seems that what you told about sddm and systemd-logind was right and it's not working properly on sysvinit.

Regards

--
Marc Bres

Hi Marc,

Am Dienstag 03 November 2015, 12:05:04 schrieb Marc Bres Gil:
> Hello Christian,
>
> I'm using sysvinit, I installed the system when jessie was the "testing"
> version, and now i'm on stretch.
> I thought it will have changed to systemd when the upgrade was done, but
> checking it now i've found it is sysvinit the system in use.

For fresh installs, systemd will be the default. When upgrading, I don't
think the installer will automatically change the previously-used init.
At least, the installer can be prevented from attempting this.

I've also updated from a sysvinit Jessie to Stretch, keeping sysvinit as
init-System. I've casually searched the web for hints, but so far, no luck.
Some posts point into the PAM direction, i.e. systemd-logind not doing the
entire PAM dance. But so far, that's guessing only.

> How can I check if systemd-logind is in use? I see that the systemd package
> is installed.

AFAIK, sddm relies in systemd-logind, i.e., when sddm is being used, so
is systemd-logind. At least, that is the default.

Regards,

        Christian

--
kernel concepts GmbH       Tel: +49-271-771091-11
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48

--
Marc Bres Gil
marc@bres.cat