Re: Plasma desktop unusable in stretch

Hi Brad,

thanks for clarifying matters. A few more bits inline.

Am Donnerstag 03 September 2015, 14:19:53 schrieb Brad Rogers:
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 12:43:37 +0200
> Christian Hilberg <hilberg@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Christian,
>
> >> You appear to expect somebody (well, several
> >> somebodies) to stem the tide to avoid problems.
> >"Expecting" is not what I meant to express, it is more like "being
> I wasn't sure, hence my writing "appear to..."  Having cleared up a
> misunderstanding about the unstable->testing migration, I can tell
> you're a lot less angry (I use the word cautiously; it may be too strong)
> about what's going on ATM.

No anger at all. Please excuse if my writings implied this.

What you call a misunderstanding about the package migration
between unstable and testing I think is better described by
the term "misconception on my side", something many may share
with me. So thanks again for taking time to explain.

> >Sure. Since there are the brave ones running unstable, I thought this
> >is where the biggest breakages were going to be caught and eliminated
> >before the packages entered testing.
> By and large, the biggest breakages _do_ occur in unstable.  The current
> situation is, in the time I've used testing (approx ten years),
> unprecedented.  I've seen the odd package or two migrate that couldn't
> be installed, but never on such a huge scale.

That's true. I'm a debian addict myself for more than 10 years
now, and haven't seen like this either. Although, I must admit,
I have not followed testing that much close.

> [...]
> Much of the problem, AIUI, is caused by the change to GCC5 for
> Kf5/Plasma.  Just look at the number of packages held back from testing
> because of it;
>
> Updating gcc-5 makes 408 depending packages uninstallable on amd64:
>
> Note that that list refers to amd64 only.  It may differ on other
> architectures.  And that's just the _depending_ packages.  There's
> another 318 non-depending packages that are affected.

It might be helpful to have some mechanism handy which would allow
the release managers to easily hold off e.g. all of KDE from migrating
from unstable into testing while something like the GCC transition
is going on, and having testing just sit on the latest pre-GCCv5 version.
Once the transition is done, this "hold" flag would be removed and
the unstable packages (for KDE here) would start trickling into testing
again. But then, for something like this to work, the package dependencies
would need to already be correct... just thinking out loud, never mind. :-)

> https://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=gcc-5 has the
> full list.  It includes stuff like LibreOffice and all sort of Python
> stuff, not just KDE.

Thanks for the pointers.

> It's going to take a long time to sort it out, I'm sure.

I might bug you with some new bug reports in the meantime. :)

Kind regards,
	Christian