Re: Plasma desktop unusable in stretch

Hi Brad,

Am Donnerstag 03 September 2015, 09:40:35 schrieb Brad Rogers:
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 10:12:52 +0200
> Christian Hilberg <hilberg@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Christian,
>
> >I guess it might have been wiser to let the transitions happen in
> >unstable, since the massive breakage you mention was to be expected,
> >and have the smaller issues and oversights ironed out in testing.
> >This scheme worked out quite well in the past.
>
> Testing acquires packages from unstable when certain criteria are met.
> It's all automatic, except for when a freeze occurs. That is to say,
> nobody oversees it.

"It's all automatic" is the bit I missed. I was under the impression
that this would be true for experimental->unstable only and that the
packages in testing would then be marked as "ready for testing" manually,
once the breakage reports cease.

> You appear to expect somebody (well, several
> somebodies) to stem the tide to avoid problems.

"Expecting" is not what I meant to express, it is more like "being
under the [wrong, I know by now] impression that somebody does",
given the actually relatively low frequency of breakages in testing.

> Question is;  How do they know what's going to cause problems?  Answer;  They don't/can't
> until the problem(s) actually arise.  By then it's too late to avoid
> them.

Sure. Since there are the brave ones running unstable, I thought this
is where the biggest breakages were going to be caught and eliminated
before the packages entered testing.

> What you'd like to happen is never going to happen.  So it comes down to
> three choices;
>
> 1) deal with it yourself
> 2) use stable
> 3) use another distro
>
> With snapshot.debian.org 1 is easy to do, 2 may require an install and
> 3 _will_ require an install.
>
> 1 is probably the easiest.

3) is not at all an option, sorry. ;-))

What I'm doing is using stable on my production machines and running
testing in a VM to follow up on what's going on and report issues as
I find them. It is not too much I can do there, but I try to add my
2 cent.

What had me puzzled a little was that I did not experience the KDE
packaged in testing being in the state it lately has been -- so that
is what may have misled my "expectations".

Kind regards,
	Christian