Re: Problems with balooo

On Tue 14 Apr 2015 12:46:58 PM you wrote:
> Hey,
>
> > baloo_file(11335): Could not obtain lock for Xapian Database. This is bad
>
> well this should never happen (tm) Actually the Xapian should only be
> written by baloo, so it should not be locked. Is it possible, that you have
> multiple baloo instances running?

Right now, ps says I have one baloo_file, and one akonadi_baloo_indexer
running.

I ended up finding one of the wiki entries on baloo, and running
baloo_file_extractor directly a few times to figure out just what was not
working. It was trying to index my way too large irc log folder, those files
are way too large to even bother to scan (no log rotating or expiring in there
unfortunately). I just told baloo to not index that folder, and things
eventually finished.

Prior to this happening, I had turned baloo on (using system settings) after
having it turned off for a long time, then after about a couple weeks, I
looked up some info on how to deal with the cpu use, and ran 'balooctl
disable; baloo enable', and then waited.

I remember at one point killing a baloo process, and running it manually in
the console to get debug data out of it, it /might/ be possible that's the
cause of the xapian lock errors, as i don't know if baloo noticed that one or
started another one beside it? It didn't look like i had duplicate processes
running however. There was always one baloo_file/baloo_file_extractor process
chewing up cpu time.

> I would suggest to stop all ballo processes, than if the lockfile still
> extists delete it by hand. The name is flintlock
>
> If baloo do not get an access to the db it try and try forever to get
> access. Is the dir where baloo writes (.local/... ) an local filesystem?

It is a local file system. On a fast SSD.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@fjellstrom.ca