Re: KDEPIM issues (was: Re: Bugs bugs bugs)

On Monday, 2015-02-23, 18:39:40, Volker Wysk wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 22. Februar 2015, 16:13:10 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > Am Samstag, 21. Februar 2015, 16:32:33 schrieb Volker Wysk:

> > And the Plasma 5 / Qt 5 port of KDEPIM is not yet ready as far as I am
> > aware of. Even that will use the Akonadi as we now it today, so it may
> > have still similar shortcomings and bugs.
>
> This means that parts of the KDE SC will use Plasma 5 / Qt 5, whereas other
> parts (KDEPIM) still use Plasma 4 / Qt4 ?

There are only few applications that use Plasma as a technology, e.g. Amarok.
Applications already do not depend on Plasma as a desktop shell.

> Will that work?

Yes, all libraries should be able to coexist.

> It sure wouldn't make sense to run Akonadi4 and Akonadi5 simultaneously.. ?

Right.
My hope is that Akonadi Next will still be able to service connections from
clients using on Qt4 based Akonadi client libraries.
The Qt5 version of Akonadi does since it is the same software, just built with
Qt5.

> Is Akonadi only used by KDEPIM?

No. Contacts are probably the most widely used data accessed through Akonadi,
email is probably the least widely used.

Cheers,
Kevin