Re: debian kde will not install deb from dolphin by default

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Fabio Rafael da Rosa <fdr@fdrout.net> wrote:

> I do understand your point. I don't think the command line is difficult. I'm on linux and debian for a long time already, I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about the 'average' user. They, on average, will _not_ want to learn command line, or anything else. They don't want customize anything. They just want it to work, by default. And, the point I'm trying to make, is that the default is problematic, and risky, more risky then enabling external package installation by default.

Maybe the package can be installed by default, but with a big red
screen saying "This is dangerous! [...] risk [...] Try the following
safer alternatives first [...]".

BTW, I think that Apper is installed by default now, and it installs
.deb files from dolphin...

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:
> Open Konsole (which is the command-line application in KDE) and execute the
> following command:
> sudo aptitude install gdebi-kde

Sudo doesn't work by default...

On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Fabio Rafael da Rosa <fdr@fdrout.net> wrote:
> Hi all.
> I'm asking here before writting a a bug report, to check if it is 'by
> design', and, if it is, why.
> I just made a fresh wheezy install and choose kde as the desktop environment
> from the installer.
> After the first boot, I did download google-chrome from the website, and
> tried to install it, without success.
> I did test this, because I'll make this install to a friend, to replace his
> Window XP.
> I did check that, for being able to install something from the UI, with a
> double click, I must install gdebi-kde.

I think that the packaged "chromium" is a better choice. You can say
to your friend "You don't need to search the web and download things,
it's simpler, just type this command...".